Saturday, August 11, 2007

Indeed, the body does not consist of one member but of many. If the foot were to say, ‘Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body’, that would not make it any less a part of the body. And if the ear were to say, ‘Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body’, that would not make it any less a part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole body were hearing, where would the sense of smell be? But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. If all were a single member, where would the body be? As it is, there are many members, yet one body. (1Corinthians 12: 14-20)

Too often we perceive our particular gift as God's intent for all people. Because I am a "foot" it is clear that God's purpose is focused on walking. Seeing and hearing are helpful, but less important. Sitting and meditating are wastes of time.

Yet Paul reminds us that we are all of one body. Each part of the body needs the other, is lessened by the absense of another, and is empowered in relationship with all.

I have flat feet. I have one shoulder that droops. Either my legs are too short or my torso is too tall. Vanity pushes me to criticism of my own body. Active love for others would leave little time or energy for criticizing what God has so wonderfully arranged.

No comments: