Monday, August 27, 2007

Now I should remind you, brothers and sisters, of the good news that I proclaimed to you, which you in turn received, in which also you stand, through which also you are being saved, if you hold firmly to the message that I proclaimed to you—unless you have come to believe in vain. (1Corinthians 15: 1-2)

In a rather brief letter Paul has dealt with a variety of divisions and differences among the believers at Corinth.

Paul has provided guidance on dealing with sexual immorality, lawsuits, sex within marriage, marriage with unbelievers, remarriage, social and cultural identity, eating or not eating food offered to idols, the nature of freedom, our responsibility to others, headcoverings in worship, self-indulgence and self aggrandizement, the proper attitude with which to participate in the Lord's Supper, the range and role of spiritual gifts, the animating power of love, the comparative value of prophecy and speaking in tongues, and protocols for orderly worship.

Through this guidance it is possible to discern some principles: We are free. We are to make mindful choices that fulfill God's intent for each of us and our community. We are to exercise self-restraint when our freedom of choice might complicate the ability of others to deepen their relationship with God. We are reminded that our choices are to be guided by the example of self-giving love we know in Jesus.

I am sometimes uncomfortable with how Paul applies these principles to the specific context in Corinth. Part of my discomfort is because I do not fully understand the context. This ancient and exotic setting is far beyond my experience and I don't have sufficient knowledge of the details. But my discomfort is also the result of resisting a call to self-restraint. Like some at Corinth, I exult in my freedom. I am less enthusiastic regarding my responsibilities.

But I recognize the value of the principles. I also recognize that even the best principles do not eliminate the courage and risk involved in making tough choices.

No comments: