Sunday, September 2, 2007



And why are we putting ourselves in danger every hour? I die every day! That is as certain, brothers and sisters, as my boasting of you—a boast that I make in Christ Jesus our Lord. If with merely human hopes I fought with wild animals at Ephesus, what would I have gained by it? If the dead are not raised, ‘Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.’ Do not be deceived: ‘Bad company ruins good morals.’ Come to a sober and right mind, and sin no more; for some people have no knowledge of God. I say this to your shame. (1Corinthians 15: 30-34)

Paul seems to say that without the hope for some reward, why would we do other than fully indulge ourselves? Without the promise of the next life, certainly we would - even should - choose hedonism in this life.

The quote is from Isaiah 22. But there the meaning is ironic. The prophet argues that living only for pleasure in this life leads to disaster in this life. Attending to God's intention, by contrast, is the foundation for fulfillment in this life.

A hope and confidence in personal resurrection can lead to courage and fortitude in this life. An attitude toward this life as a way station on a great journey has motivated many a saintly choosing.

Less happily the same perspective can encourage passivity. It is even used as an excuse for not attending to the injustices and challenges of this life. Surely Paul does not suggest that this life is unreal, but for him it is not the only reality.

I confess the self-giving life and death of Jesus compells my attention more than the resurrection. This does not mean I dismiss the resurrection. But the resurrection of Jesus matters to me much more than my own. His resurrection gives me assurance - not of my own resurrection - but of the possibility to transcend every injustice, error, and cruelty.

Above is a detail of the Resurrection fresco from the Visoki Decani monastery in Serbia.

No comments: