Sunday, September 9, 2007

Now concerning the collection for the saints: you should follow the directions I gave to the churches of Galatia. On the first day of every week, each of you is to put aside and save whatever extra you earn, so that collections need not be taken when I come. And when I arrive, I will send any whom you approve with letters to take your gift to Jerusalem. If it seems advisable that I should go also, they will accompany me. (1Corinthians 16: 1-4)

In his letter to the Galatians, Paul explains that when confirmed as apostle to the Gentiles he was asked (instructed?) by the leaders in Jerusalem not to forget the poor.

A consistent aspect of Paul's ministry is the gathering of money to be delivered to Jerusalem.

Above the Greek - logia ho eis ho hagios - is rendered "collection for the saints." Here hagios is, however, an adjective not a noun.

A more literal translation would be, "Concerning this collection for those saintly" (or sacred or venerable).

A noun suggests a state of being. An adjective is concerned with behavior. Paul certainly had strong views on our fundamental state of being, but he more often focused on our behavior.

No comments: