Monday, July 23, 2007



Do you not know that in a race the runners all compete, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win it. Athletes exercise self-control in all things; they do it to receive a perishable garland, but we an imperishable one. So I do not run aimlessly, nor do I box as though beating the air; but I punish my body and enslave it, so that after proclaiming to others I myself should not be disqualified. (1Corinthians 9: 24-27)

Prepare, be purposeful, and practice self-control.

Self-control might seem to be a major theme for Paul. But this particular term - egkrateuomai - is only used twice in the new testament. The other usage is 1Corinthians 7:9.

Much more important to Paul than self-control is the self-giving of Jesus and our ability to choose likewise.

Self-control can lead to pride. Self-giving is more likely to result in humility.

Pride is not receptive to God. Humble self-giving is the rich clay with which God can perform miracles.

Above is an icon of Jesus healing the demoniac of the Gadarenes.

No comments: