Sunday, July 22, 2007

For though I am free with respect to all, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I might win more of them. To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though I myself am not under the law) so that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law) so that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, so that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, so that I might by any means save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share in its blessings. (1Corinthians 9: 19-23)

Adapting to our surroundings and audience can be helpful. To be sociable is to be open to others, to share, and to cultivate reciprocity. By smoothing our rough edges - by restraining our more assertive tendencies - we create a space for mutual interest and interaction.

In this comfortable space we are more likely to discover the true self of another. In the true self of another we can encounter God. We are all created in the image of God. This transcendent identity can be well-hidden, but it remains the foundation of each personality.

Sociability is a tool, not an outcome. The purpose is to come to know one another and to find the unique expression of God that each of us embody. God is not found in bland banalities. Mutuality also requires authenticity. Paul adapted, but he remained - clearly and dramatically - Paul.

No comments: