Tuesday, July 31, 2007

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God. Give no offence to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, so that they may be saved. (1Corinthians 10: 32-33)

Paul has not pleased everyone. He is writing to Corinthians who are not pleased with him and prefer other teachers. I began to study Paul's letters because he had for so long displeased me.

I have persisted in the study because Paul is clearly trying to please. He is trying to accommodate the diverse perspectives of those at Corinth regarding many less important things, so that all believers might focus on and finally recognize the glory of God.

Each of us brings our own understanding and misunderstanding of God. How could it be otherwise for what is so beyond any of us? Regardless of what we understand, we can experience God's intentions by caring for one another and giving thanks to God.

No comments: