Saturday, July 21, 2007

If I proclaim the gospel, this gives me no ground for boasting, for an obligation is laid on me, and woe betide me if I do not proclaim the gospel! For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward; but if not of my own will, I am entrusted with a commission. What then is my reward? Just this: that in my proclamation I may make the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my rights in the gospel. (1Corinthians 9: 16-18)

What is Paul trying to say? I have read these sentences five times. I have read them in the context of the full chapter twice more.

The English suggests some issue with whether Paul is under an obligation or acting in accord with his free will.

The English suggests that if Paul acts freely he will be rewarded (why is not clear). And then he speaks of being rewarded.

If this was a transcript of Paul speaking, I would not be so concerned. In speaking we all prattle on incoherently from time to time.

But this is a purposeful letter that Paul has carefully crafted to positively intervene in the troublesome situation at Corinth.

I see a possible meaning in the Greek. But my meaning is so different from that of other translations, I have very little confidence in its value.

If I do (prasso) this of my own will, I have a reward (misthos), but if not of my own will, I am entrusted with a commission (oikonomia).

Prasso can be a complicated doing as in managing an enterprise or to enter into contracts.

Misthos can be reward or punishment. This is the practical, public, and explicit outcome of labor, good or bad.

Oikonomia is the management of a private household. Here it is a singular feminine noun.

Is Paul saying, if he proclaims the gospel with his whole self there will be practical outcomes? Otherwise - separate from his free will - proclaiming the gospel is only a private affair?

If each of us bring to our relationship with God the enthusiasm and commitment of a free choice the outcomes will extend far beyond our private sphere.

No comments: